For most of us, well-
groomed nails are essential. A common concern is how to make nail polish last longer
and delay chipping. I’ve
learnt a few tricks over the years and I would like to share them with you…
|Photos from previous NOTD posts|
- Before starting to apply nail polish, even if you don’t have any nail polish on, rub some nail polish remover on your nails to remove any traces of oil. I recommend washing your hand afterwards because nail polish removers can dry and weaken your natural nails.
- Apply a base coat before applying nail polish. This will not only make your nail polish last longer but will also prevent staining.
- Always apply a double coat of nail polish. Apply the second coat only after the first is completely dry.
- Apply your nail polish in thin layers. Thick layers tend to peel off.
- Apply nail polish to the tips of your nails. Chipping usually begins on the tips of your nails.
- Apply a clear top coat to seal your polish.
- Allow your nails to dry one hour before handling anything.
- You may also dip your nails in ice water (once your nails are dry). The cold solidifies the nail polish.
- Apply olive oil to each nail and wipe off the excess. This helps hydrate the polish so that it won't chip, and olive oil is good for your cuticles.
- Use top coat several times a week to discourage chipping.
- Keep your hands always moisturised. Apply a hand cream every night before you go to sleep.
If you have more tips, leave a comment and let me know!