We all know that the summer sun is very dangerous and that we need to protect our skin. But some tend to forget that the sun can also damage our hair.
Here are some tips and tricks to ensure that your hair does not get damaged this season:
- Wear a scarf, hat or cap to protect your hair from the sun.
- If you are going to be in the sun and you don't want to wear anything on your head, always use a hair sunscreen.
- Limit your use of hot tools on your hair (i.e. blow dryers, curling and straightening irons). Always use a heat protectant!
- Staying hydrated is important for your overall healthy and for your hair as well so make sure that you are drinking enough water.
- Avoid hair products with alcohol in them which dry out hair. Try to use natural products that are gentler on your hair.
- Before going into the pool/sea wet your hair; this will decrease the absorption of chlorinated/salt water into your hair.
- Use a clarifying shampoo after swimming in a pool to wash out the chlorine in your hair. Chlorine will severely dry out your hair if it is not washed out.
- Try co-washing more often than shampooing your hair.
- You can also use dry shampoos. (Personally, I don’t like them!)
- Use a moisturising shampoo that is gentler than your regular shampoo for the summer.
- Use moisturising hair masks and deep conditioners.
- Once you have your hair moist, lock in the moisture by rinsing your hair with cold water; this will also give your hair an extra shine.
- Get your hair trimmed every six to eight weeks. Your hair grows faster in the warmer months.
- Try tying your hair, braiding it or wearing it up or in a bun.
Do you have more summer hair care tips and tricks? Share them in a comment!
Photo from here.