Did you know that, besides being a tasty side dish, the potato is also an excellent skincare ingredient?
Here is why:
The potato is packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Vitamin C and B complex and minerals like Potassium, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Zinc are very beneficial for the skin and can all be found in raw potato. The enzymes present in the pulp of raw potatoes are also good for the skin. In addition, raw potato contains acids that have antibacterial properties.
Raw potatoes can be used to:
- control and prevent acne; pimples and blackheads
- fade scars
- soothe inflammation
- treat under eye bags and dark eye circles
- reduce swelling
- cleanse excess oil
- soften and cleanse skin
- treat minor skin burns
- cure common warts
There are two main methods of application;
1. Pulp mask:
- Grate the raw potato pulp and apply to affected area.
- Leave it on for about 15-20 minutes.
- Wash it off.
- Make a juice using raw potato (without skin).
- Keep the juice in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Apply to affected area.
Long-term use of raw potato results in beautiful, smooth skin and even complexion.
This DIY mask is ideal for oily skin. Still, do not use more than twice a week on your face otherwise it can over dry your skin.
Photo from here.